a weight loss blog for people who still need floaties
Wednesday, October 04, 2006
Recipe Romp - Starters!
Since its football season and the food that goes with it can be frightening, especially if you're trying to lose weight, we thought a good recipe romp this week would be appetizers. (Oh yeah, is baseball still happening? Whatever!) You know, finger foods that you can have at a tailgate party and not fall off the diving board on your food intake, so to speak.

So, I'll start off with one I mentioned before but I'm sure you all forgot already - my chili cheese dip. It is AWESOME, if I do say so myself. Sometimes, to vary it, I'll add onions or jalapenos, etc:

Low Fat Chili Cheese Dip

1 pkg cream cheese (LF or FF), softened
1 can 99% FF turkey chili, no beans
½ cup LF shredded cheddar cheese
Hot sauce

In a sauce pan on low heat, mix cream cheese and chili until melted/blended. Add hot sauce to taste. Pour mixture into a small soufflé dish or similar. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Broil for a few minutes until cheese is melted. Serve with baked tortilla chips.

Another thing I've started putting out as munchies is FF mini pretzels, with some FF/LF ranch dip (use 16oz of LF/FF sour cream and a packet of the Hidden Valley Ranch powdered dip mix. You can do onion dip this way as well.) Low fat chips work well with these dips too - FF Pringles and RF Ruffles being my staples.

I also try to put out veggie trays with LF/FF dip, especially carrots - my favorite.

If you have more time, one of my all time favorite recipes is one I got from Jenny for Baked Egg Rolls, with a few tweaks...I usually make a double batch and freeze them and re-heat for lunch:

Baked Egg Rolls

1 1/4 lb chicken (I cut it into smaller pieces then chop, or you could use ground chicken)
1 cup cooked brown rice
1 c grated carrots
1 c bean sprouts, drained
1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms (or 1/2 cup canned)
1/4 c chopped bell pepper
1/4 c finely chopped onion
1/2 cup finely chopped broccoli, zucchininni or celery
3 garlic cloves
1 1/2 tsp soy sauce
1 ts sesame oil
1 ts firmly packed brown sugar
1 tb cornstarch
1/4 ts ground red pepper
Season to taste - I use a thai stir fry seasoning
16 egg roll wrappers; 3-inch squares

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
1. Cook Rice and set aside
2. In large nonstick skillet or wok, cook chicken over medium-hi heat until crumbly, about 5 minutes. Drain and set aside. (These directions are to be used if using ground chicken, otherwise, cook chicken breasts in wok until done and chop very small.)
3. To same skillet, add all veggies. (We don't like bean sprouts and mushrooms in our house, so I increase the broccoli anc carrots.) Cook over medium heat,3 minutes; return chicken to skillet.
4. In small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon water, the soy sauce, sesame oil,and brown sugar; whisk in all cornstarch,, garlic, and pepper. Pour into chicken mixture; toss well. Remove from heat and set aside.
5. Place 1 egg roll skin on work surface; spoon 1/4 cup chicken mixture on bottom third of wonton skin; fold both sides toward center and rolltightly. Place seam-side down on nonstick baking sheet. Repeat with remaining skins and filling. (Rolls can be frozen at this point.).
6. Spray egg rolls with cooking spray (helps brown and make crunchy) and bake until lightly browned, 15 minutes - turn and cook another 5 min.

Note - Wonton (or egg roll) wraps are usually in the veggie section at the grocery store. They are with the tofu and fancy salad dressings. Brush them with a bit of water to make them easier to work with. Another hint - I could only find small won ton wraps in my area, so I use egg roll wraps. Yum! I serve with chinese hot mustard and sweet and sour sauce for dipping.

Okay, now is your chance to share your yummy, diet friendly appetizer recipes with us! Ready, set, go!


2 Comments:

Blogger A Heathier Me said...

I also love low fat spinach dip.

Low Fat Spinach Dip

1 pkg cream cheese (LF or FF), softened
1 pkg Frozen Spinach thawed
1 cup LF Mozarella cheese

Put it all in a dish and pop it in the oven or microwave till it's soft and you are good to go!

I eat it with Baked Tortilla chips or even veggies!

Yummy, yummy!

Post a Comment

<< Home