a weight loss blog for people who still need floaties
Thursday, September 28, 2006
Don't Whine About Wine
Let’s talk a little about drinking. With the weekend coming, it’s hard, ya know? I mean, who wants to do all that hard work being good all week, watching what is going in our mouths, then blow it on the weekends eating fatty foods and drinking like lushes?? Not me! But, I also don’t want to give up the social life/adult time and with that, comes an analysis of “how much or how little alcohol is OK?”

First, let’s just give everyone a little reminder that beverages, except for water, have calories. It’s easy to think “it’s a drink, it’s not really like adding anything to my diet because it’s a drink.” Some people really think that drinks don’t count.
Uh, hello. They do, and some count big time.

So, if you’re hardcore about your weight loss, give up the booze completely. This is your choice. If you’d rather have a 100-calorie pack during a late afternoon snack binge instead of imbibing the brews that night, go out with your friends and have some water with a lemon wedge. And if anyone gives you crap for not drinking, guess what, you need to find some new friends. How old are we now? Peer pressure is over. Mature adults who choose not to drink may have a number of reasons for doing so (alcoholism, pregnancy, etc.) that they’d rather not discuss. Anymore, personal choices should be given respect. Besides, your water with lemon may look vaguely like a vodka something-or-other, people might not even notice.

For those of you who enjoy a drink or five, think ahead to what you usually order when you go out. Look up the calories on a chart. It’s not hard to find your beverage of choice and how many calories it has. Then, you’ll have to plan accordingly. Like gin? It’s gonna cost ya. And let’s not forget with mixed drinks, the sodas, juices and other high calorie, sugary things that liquor is combined with. Those calories add up too.

So, to follow, we’ve found various sources you can go have a read, that show both the pros and cons of drinking alcohol. (**Yes, there are pros!)

**And, obviously, there are studies that support and studies that discredit practically every claim out there. I mean, seriously, every time I turn around eggs are good, then they're bad, then they're good. Just do your own research, this is just a slice of information that we've found regarding alcohol and the final decision, as with everything else, is up to you. We're just giving you some perspectives to consider.**

PROS:
CONS:

Bottom line:
  • If you're going to drink, drink in moderation. Our recommendation would be that, if you're going to drink at all, drink one or maybe two drinks then switch to water. But, factor in that consumption of calories ahead of time, they do count!
  • Be aware of alcohol and it's effects in combination with any medications, prescription or otherwise, that you may be taking.
  • Beware that drinking sometimes goes hand in hand with eating high fat foods and/or smoking. Keep your smarts about you and stay firm with your game plan before you go out.
  • If you've always stuck with one favorite drink, maybe try to develop a taste for something with fewer calories.
  • Plan ahead, be smart, make good choices. Weight loss doesn't mean you have to eliminate your social life, just work it into your plan in a sensible, common sense way.


12 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

If you think is going to be a long night, or you need to have something on your hand (I can't be empty handed in a bar but I do not drink alcohol, that's were smoking came handy) do alcohol, then diet soda, then water. You won't feel left out because you are not drinking something and you'll keep hydrated. win-win. for you anyway, I do not think bars are too happy with water drinkers.

Blogger Unknown said...

Damn, I could use a glass of wine - hell a beer for that matter after my week. Alas, I will definitely be taking a pain pill tonight for my back so no booze for me. Grrr.

Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Blogger Kristi said...

Damn is right! We're visiting friends this weekend and he is like THE best bartender... I could work on a liquid diet for the weekend maybe :-)

Blogger Unknown said...

um, wine is made of grapes so maybe you can count it as a fruit serving, right?

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I seem to be exceptionally headache/hangover prone, so I have taken to drinking water (yes, me, hater of water) inbetween alcoholic drinks because it seems to help the next morning. I also don't ever feel the need to "get hammered" so, this keeps my buzz management in a good place because I'm fairly certain I'm a really stupid drunk person.

Blogger The Publican said...

I believe a glass of red wine has about 25 calories, and an ounce of 80 proof liquor has about 63 calories. That is of course before you mix it with anything.

Blogger The Publican said...

Oops, I mistyped that!

An OUNCE of wine has about 25 calories, not an entire glass. Sorry for getting everyone excited.

Blogger Lisa said...

Oh, man, Irishwalsh, you got me all excited for nothing!

Blogger Unknown said...

Leave it to a post about BOOZE to bring about the most comments we've had so far. LoL - LUSHES, ALL OF YOU! ;-) (Of course I have no room to talk I guess!)

Blogger Sunshine said...

Heather, I was thinking the same thing...perhaps instead of giving the winners the money, we should just buy them a pony keg!

Blogger Alison said...

LOL Not much of a drinker here -- it makes me feel like I need to throw up (even a little)....hmmm.....oh, wait, bulimia isn't allowed, right?

Post a Comment

<< Home