a weight loss blog for people who still need floaties
Wednesday, September 27, 2006
Recipe Romp - Chicken Style!
Okay, so the name needs some work maybe? Anyway, one of the ideas Sonia and I had for this blog is to have one day each week where we share healthy, yummy recipes. Before I post the recipes, I wanted to pass on a few things I've learned about cooking healthier:


  • Spices make all the difference. Alot of complaints about lowfat foods is the lack of taste. Taking fat out of a recipe sometimes means less flavor. BUT - you can remedy that with spices. Experiment, find spices that you like. I'm a garlic and onion powder champ, let me tell you. Also, Mrs. Dash makes ALOT of great spice mixes to add to meats, side dishes, etc.
  • Don't give up on your old favorites. Just because a recipe you love is high in fat doesn't mean you have to give up on it totally. Modify ingredients, substitute with lower fat/sugar/salt ingredients. The only caution is when doing this, don't substitute out everything at once. I've found that I can generally replace alot of unhealthy ingredients with a healthier version without losing flavor.

On to the food! Chicken is a staple in my house, so I thought I'd start with what I know best. I'm starting off with a bang - this first chicken recipe is quite possible my favorite chicken dish. I first had it at my bridal shower WAY BACK in 1997 (holy crap.) So, when I went on WW, I had to find a way to modify it so I could still eat it. Because - LOVE IT! I serve it with rice and a veggie. (Use brown rice for more fiber, better for you. Quick hint on rice - use FF chicken/beef broth instead of water to make rice - more flavor!! There are lower sodium versions too if salt is an issue for you.)

Chicken Swiss

6 boneless chicken breasts

6 slices of reduced fat swiss cheese

1 can 99% FF cream of chicken soup

3/4 cup white wine (don't use a sweet wine like zinfandel - it won't taste right. I use chardonnay.)

1/2 to 1 box of fat free garlic and onion croutons

Butter Spray (I use I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray)

Place the chicken in a 9x12 baking dish. Place a slice of cheese on each breast. Mix the soup and wine and pour over chicken/cheese. Crush the croutons and spread over all. Spray with butter spray (4-6 sprays). Bake in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour. You can make this ahead and refrigerate it. I've also made it and frozen it (leaving off the crouton crumbs/butter spray until cooking time.) Another thing I sometimes do is double the sauce recipe to have more 'gravy' for the rice.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This next recipe is another favorite and very easy to do that I also got from my SIL. I modified it slightly as well. (Quick hint - tortillas range in fat/fiber like you wouldn't believe. Find higher fiber tortillas if possible - the ones I use are 1.5g-2g fat and 2-3 g of fiber I think.) They don't taste any different to me, but they are better for you! Search around for one that works for you.

Onto the recipe...

Chicken Enchiladas

8 lowfat tortillas

1/2-1 lb cooked chicken, chopped (shortcut-use the already cooked chicken if you're in a hurry - you can get it in the meat section usually. I like the Tyson's Southwestern flavored.)

1 1/2 cups lowfat or fat free shredded sharp cheddar cheese

16 oz reduced fat or fat free sour cream

1 small can green chiles, diced

1 jar enchilada sauce

In a bowl mix the chicken, sour cream, 1 cup of the cheese, and the chilis. (If you don't use the southwestern flavored chicken, I suggest adding some spices like ground red pepper, onion salt, Mrs. Dash Southwestern chipotle, fajita seasoning, or something you like that will give it the mexican feel.) Spoon the mixture into each tortilla, roll up the tortilla, and place seam side down in a 9x12 casserole dish. Repeat until all 8 tortillas are filled. Pour enchilada sauce over tortillas - make sure to get sauce on all tortilla edges or they will dry out. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup cheese over the top of the enchiladas. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes.

I usually service this with spainish or mexican rice - yum!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, so share - do you have any favorite chicken recipes? Let us know! Post in the comments below so we can all get some ideas.

Happy cooking!



4 Comments:

Blogger Alison said...

We are very simple chicken people in my house. We usually have chicken at least a couple nights a week. Here are a couple of our favorites.

Lemon Pepper Chicken

This recipe is easy and quick to make. We usually serve it over rice. It also makes pretty good sandwiches.

Using anywhere from 4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (depending on the size), place them in a 13 x 9 inch baking dish*. Put enough lemon juice in the pan to cover the bottom about ¼ inch deep (you can cut it with water if it ends up being too lemony for you). Sprinkle a lemon pepper spice over the top (there are many different brands and they all have different flavors). Cook in a 400 degree oven for about 8 minutes. Then flip them over and sprinkle more lemon pepper. Cook until done. Cook times will vary depending on whether or not the chicken was frozen to begin with or thawed.

*I would recommend glass because, for some reason, the lemon juice seemed to eat away at the finish on our metal pans. Maybe that’s because they’re just cheap pans. LOL


Chicken Sandwiches

Bake boneless, skinless chicken breasts with a little salt and pepper in the oven until they’re done. On a cookie sheet, put sub rolls with a little bit of cheese (your choice) and slice the chicken and add it too. Toast it in the oven until it’s a nice toasty golden brown. Add whatever you like on your sandwiches. We don’t usually add a lot to it – my husband adds bacon, and I like to add avocado to mine (I like the taste and texture mixed with the chicken). I also add a little FF mayo to mine. This one is easy to change around to fit your taste – spices make all the difference (we sometimes do it with a chicken fajita spice to give it more of a southwestern flavor).

Blogger The Publican said...

BEEF! WALSH WANT BEEF! WALSH HUNGRY!


Carne Asada!

1 skirt or flank steak
Juice of 2 lemons
Juice of 3 Limes
3 mashed garlic cloves
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 med. onion, thinly sliced
1/2 coarsely chopped fresh cilantro

Marinate together in a zip bag for 12 hours or so. Grill the steak, slice it thin against the grain into strips. Stuff beef into grilled flour tortillas with some pico de gallo then stuff tortilla into mouth. Wipe chin, chase with beer. Smile broadly with full mouth.

Not positive on exact nutrition facts, but flank steak is VERY lean and Pico de gallo is all vegetables.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We eat grilled chicken once or twice a week, and it's beyond easy- I marinate the frozen chicken (boneless skinless breasts or tenders)in Italian dressing, and it will marinate as it thaws. Then just throw it on the grill or the george foreman thingy, and season with a bit of whatever you like-lemon pepper, Paula Deen house seasoning (we use it for everything!)Montreal seasoning...I usually serve it with a small baked potato with low-fat ranch, and a salad.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, yeah, we love the chicken in italian dressing too! Yummy. Might have to make it for myself tonight I think!

Post a Comment

<< Home