a weight loss blog for people who still need floaties
Thursday, October 12, 2006
How much is enough?
If you've read anything about weight loss, you've come across portion control. It's one of those things that you think you know all about. At least, I thought I did. Let me explain. One of my biggest revelations upon joining and doing the Weight Watcher plan was realizing how much is really in a portion of food. WW assigns points to foods based on calories, fiber, and fat content. Points are factored using one portion of any given food. Like a good girl, I bought a scale when I started out - our 'counselor' told us to weigh our food, at least for the first few months, to get an idea of what a portion really is. Let me tell you - it was quite eye opening. I found out that I was generally eating two or more portions of EVERYTHING I ate. Seriously. For example:

  • 3oz of chicken is one serving - you know, palm sized. It's not even a full breast people.
  • 1/2 cup or rice is a serving. I easily was eating 2 or three times that amount.
  • 1/2 cup of ice cream is a serving. That's a tennis ball. Lets just say, I used to have a whole can of tennis balls - at one sitting.

There are lots of sites that help with portion control and what a portion really is. Check these articles out. Lots of good information here to help you figure out portions, answer questions, and offer some great tips.

For most of us, if we actually ate just a single portion of a certain food, we could eat the things we love. Happy measuring!

Don't forget - weigh in tomorrow by 4:00pm!! Good luck!!



0 Comments: