a weight loss blog for people who still need floaties
Wednesday, October 25, 2006
Burn it Baby!
Exercising and burning calories doesn't have to mean putting on yoga pants and running around the block. Alison's question (or joke!) on how many calories we burn typing (28 calories) made me think. I know we keep saying move your ass, but its actually pretty interesting to see what calories you can burn doing things we always do...or maybe should do more....

For example (based on 180lb person):

  1. 92 caloroies for 15 min of window washing
  2. 22 calories for 15 minutes of kissing (now that could lead to more 'exercise', now couldn't it??!)
  3. 45 calories for making the bed
  4. 65 calories for 15 minutes of playing frisbee
  5. 22 calories for watching tv (okay, bad example. Heh - that's the same as kissing...hmmm.)
  6. 78 calories for 15 minutes of golfing (w/ or w/out a cart I wonder??)
  7. 73 calories for 15 minutes of shopping (at last - a great reason to go to the mall....but honey! I'm losing weight!)
  8. 132 calories for 15 minutes of biking....
  9. 48 calories for 15 min of dusting...
  10. And my personal favorite on this list ....216 calories burned in 15 minutes of playing water polo....makes me want to run out and get myself one of those swimming horses! Ha!

I know this is a silly post, but maybe these and some other activities mentioned in the link will help you get moving...anything to get that metabolism going. Make it fun, not a chore. (Some other places to look and help you calculate calories for activities...)

So what's you're favorite 'non' exercise activity that gets your blood flowing? Keep it clean people! (Okay, you don't really have to!)



6 Comments:

Blogger Sunshine said...

I take a CardioPilates class twice a week that I really like. It is only 30 minutes but it is an intense 30 minutes. I also try to get on a treadmill once or twice and now that outdoor weather is getting cooler, I'll be trying out some of the DVDs I have. During warm weather I like to bike ride with the kids. We do 4 miles and I am pulling my girls in the bike trailer, so it's a good workout.

Blogger Unknown said...

An article about non-gym alternatives. Not very informative but I'll post the link anyway.
Article here

Blogger Unknown said...

argh! Link didn't work
www.thatsfit.com from ocotber 21st
Title: Favorite non-gym activities

Blogger The Publican said...

"So what's you're favorite 'non' exercise activity that gets your blood flowing?"

Uh...er..what were we talking about again?

"Keep it clean people!

Er, I hve nothing to add.

Blogger The Publican said...

Hey thanks for putting the pool totals up on the front page. Might even be interesting if we put a section up with each persons total, or a leader board type of thing. To get the competition aspect going some more.

Blogger A Heathier Me said...

I always like to think that doing laundry is a good workout for me. I have to go up and down two flights of stairs caring heavy laundry bags. As much as I HATE doing laundry, knowing that I'm buring calories helps!

Post a Comment

<< Home