a weight loss blog for people who still need floaties
Thursday, October 19, 2006
Wake Up! No, Don't...
I'm a night person. I have always been one to stay up late - watch tv, read, party (okay, that was in college!) As I've gotten older (*cough*), I am not able to stay up as late, but generally, I still stay up way longer then I should, especially on the weekdays. And surprise! I'm tired! ALOT. I've always known I needed more sleep, but after reading the link that Alison sent, and doing a little googling of my own, turns out I REALLY need more sleep. And most likely, you do too.

The average adult gets about 7 hours of sleep during the week, and about 7 1/2 hours on the weekend. Recent studies have shown that most adults need about 8 hours to function at their best. I was surprised that 63% of adults don't get at least 8 hours of sleep a night - I guess I shouldn't be, since I'm in that group.

So what you say?? What does that have to do with the Pool?? Well, adults that do not get enough sleep have an increased level of ghrelin in their bodies (an appetite stimulating hormone) and less leptin (the hormone that tells your brain you're full.) What does that mean? It means if you don't get enough sleep, you're hungrier then if you do. I don't know about you, but I have enough problems with will power without letting my own body help to sabotage my efforts to lose weight.

So the bottom line is - keeping up your good eating habits, drinking your water, and exercising are all important. But don't forget to sleep! Do what you can to get your 8 hours in - its not being lazy, its helping you lose weight! And just think, the more time you're in bed, the less time you can spend staring longingly at the refrigerator. Just sayin'.

Now, off to bed with you!


0 Comments: